Families need to find the best caregivers for their loved ones. Skill and experience are essential considerations. But vulnerability, care, and compassion play a more significant role. Several studies have established how critical it is for caregivers to connect emotionally with their clients. This article will delve into the subject so you know what to look for in caregivers for seniors in Philadelphia, PA.
Studies That Establish the Importance of an Emotional Connection
A 2022 study established that emotional support is essential in the caregiving experience. The study involved 11 patients, two caregivers, and seven clinicians in Australian care settings. The main themes included warmth and kindness, deep listening, and social connection. These strategies provided the best patient outcomes.
A 2020 study looked at the importance of compassion in palliative care. This type of care aims to improve the quality of life in people suffering from severe and terminal illnesses. The themes incorporated include information and dialogue, creating a space for dying, and the caregivers’ acceptance of death. It showed that caregivers must offer empathy, caution, silence, slowness, symptom relief, attention, collaboration, trust, and good relationships at this pivotal time of life.
A 2019 study examined long-term care facilities in Canada. Twenty residents, 16 family members, 72 healthcare providers, and nine managers participated in 19 focus groups. Compassion was the overlying theme with sub-themes, including conceptualizing compassion in long-term care and organizational compassion. Results revealed that compassion is essential in long-term care and may be under-recognized in care environments.
The Benefits of Compassionate Care for Caregivers for Seniors
- Improves Recovery: Studies have shown that patients treated with compassion have speedier recoveries.
- Increases Comfort: Seniors are more comfortable talking to compassionate caregivers about sensitive issues.
- Boosts Well-being for Everyone Involved: Compassionate caregivers improve the well-being of their clients, their clients’ families, and themselves. Their understanding of what the client is going through makes them more patient and results in a more rewarding experience.
- Decreases Loneliness: Many seniors are depressed due to isolation. A caring caregiver will offer companionship that improves their clients’ mood.
- Improves Communication: Compassion puts you in a position where you understand a person’s needs. It improves communication.
- Increases Nurturing: Brain scans have revealed that practicing compassion causes neural systems in the brain to activate and provide a better nurturing experience.
- Helps Find Commonalities: Showing compassion helps you find common ground with the person you care for. It improves relationships.
Angels On Call Offers Compassionate Care Throughout Pennsylvania
Angels On Call prides itself on offering compassionate care to our clients. We treat our clients like family. We integrate systems that ensure our clients get the care they deserve.
We offer a wide range of services. We provide daily living assistance, light housekeeping, transportation, and specialized care for advanced conditions. Our superior scheduling, training, matching programs, and caregiver selection ensure families receive a high level of service.
Contact us to learn how we can improve your loved one’s quality of life.